Old July 29th 03, 01:31 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Bob Kuykendall wrote:

Robert raises some good points about interpolating between the
different polars, and it points towards a question that I've been
wondering for a while:

Why have none of the established manufacturers come out with an
auto-flap system that uses a computer to assess several parameters
(speed, angle of attack, G loading, air density, etc), and an actuator
to adjust the flaps to an appropriate setting?

I think one of the reason for not doing that is that it would make the
use of some (probably eletrical) power supply mandatory. I don't know
if it is a part of the certification requirements, but the fact is that
in all gliders, the basic operation is always possible without any such
power. E.g. in France at least only the basic pneumatic instruments are
mandatory, and they must be pneumatic.