Old September 14th 03, 09:35 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:05:59 GMT, Kevin Horton
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:43:01 +0000, clar wrote:

In a 20 knott headwind the Peg will hover under power at a fairly steep
angle. In a 30 knott wind it can be backed onto the runway. It is
similar to a scale Helio Courier. It has automatic leading edge slats
and full span flaperons. Gross weight is 1420 lbs.

I am building one.

Do you know how light you need to be to truly hover in that 20 kt wind?
Have you actually seen this, or only heard about it? Where did the
reported wind speed come from? Estimated wind speed, hand held anemometer
or calibrated airfield anemometer?

At gross all it takes is horsepower. Mine will be below 120HP, so I
don't plan on trying it. However, my partner in the plane flew with
the designer and the guys on the ground saw the plane fly backwards.
The guy flys Beavers for a living. Indicated airspeed was 0.. Not sure
how they read the airspeed, but I'd trust that it was close. I HAVE
seen a Courier land backwards at the JAARS airfiels at Waxhaw N.
Carolina.

There is a fairly steep wind gradient in the first few feet above the
ground, so if the reported wind speed comes from an anemometer at say 6 ft
AGL, the wind speed at say 50 ft AGL would be a fair bit higher. The data
from airfield anemometers is corrected to report what the wind would be at
10 meters AGL.

For altitudes above 5 ft, the standard correction for wind speeds is W2 =
W1 * (H2/H1)^(1/7), where W1 is the measured wind speed at height H1 and
W2 is the corrected wind speed at height H2.

How far along is your project? Where are you located? I'm looking
forward to seeing it fly someday.

Located in Kitchener Waterloo area of Ontario. Fuselage is on the
table in my partner's garage (air conditioned) being welded. Tail
peices (rudder and stab etc) ready for closing. We have the spar
material cut and ready to assemble, and all ribs ready. The wings will
go together over the winter in my partner's basement.
The engine, a 1965 Corvair , is mostly completed, and has several
hours of ground running on a 68" Ivo Magnum. May be replacing the
camshaft in the future. Suspect we have an honest 80HP as it sits. 100
would be nice.
Likely another 2 years assembly time required.