Old March 11th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default selecting wheels and tyres

jan olieslagers wrote:
Bob Kuykendall schreef:
On Mar 10, 4:57 am, jan olieslagers
wrote:
I am surprised at finding precious little information on how to select
wheels and tyres when designing a plane from scratch...

Have you checked the Pazmany book on light aircraft undercarriage
design? I don't have a copy, but that might be a good place to look.

I must humbly avow I did only some web research, no books consulted. I
do have large excerpts from the pre-war Desgrandschamps book, but when
it talks about a #10 wheel that is not very helpful either...

One thing it does say is the wheels must be overdimensioned so as to
allow five times their calculated max load - so if max gross is 800 kg,
each wheel must be able to support five times half of that, or 2000 kg.
Whether this figure of 5 was empirically determined, or bases upon some
law of physics, or on French law of the era, is left open though.

I read much good about the Pazmany books, mainly here - do they have
ISBN numbers? Would they be available in Europe (without paying
transtalantic DHL and a lot of import tax) ?

Pazmany- Landing gear design for light aircraft-ISBN 0-9616777-0-8-
I seriously considered copying a few pages for you,before perusing a
portion of the paperback, but reading one page exposes so many more
questions that this would entail the whole book--8½" X 11"--244pp---and
this is Volume-I---although I have never seen a vol II.

The final test is of 1/2 the entire gear, leg, SUSPENSION, wheel and
tyre + (1/2 the weight of the airplane)
being dropped from a specified height and not suffering any structural
damage(except a blown tyre)--the height is not excessive--IIRC somewhere
between 2 to 5 ft--This takes into account a partial support by the
wings. Jerry

Google booksellers & make enquirys --you might find a used one