Old September 26th 14, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

Default Flat-free glider tail dolly wheel

I've just had my tail dolly converted to a flat-free wheel as part of the
package that comes with my new trailer.

http://aero-works.de/index_UK.html

Click on the 'interior' tab to see a converted tail dolly. The added bonus
is that in this installation the tail wheel can be selected to 'castor' and
the belly dolly is 'casterable' also so you can move the fuselage, or fully
rigged glider, around/into the hangar easily.

I also found out that if I select the tail dolly wheel to castor then the
control of the glider, when being towed back to the launch point by the
tractor/quad bike etc, from the wing tip is much improved.

The British Gliding Association is now selling flat-free tail dolly
wheels.

See:

http://www.bgashop.co.uk/index.php?_...&productId=244

for a picture and details of size etc.

Once a helpful club member saw that my tail dolly wheel needed some air as
we were manoeuvring the glider in to the hangar. Quick as a flash he hooked
up the portable air compressor and then just as quick as the tail wheel
went 'BANG!' So I will now be free of that situation happening again.

The old dolly wheel and spare inner have ben donated to the club.
Gavin
Std Cirrus, G-SCNN, #173
SFV Südeifel, Utscheid, Germany