Old April 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

How does the military's use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle intend to
comply with the Part 91 See-And-Avoid mandate? Will there be new
Restricted Areas imposed along the border, or will the UAVs be flown
in Positive Control Airspace?

Did you read the item before posting your message? There is no altitude
reference outside of Class A airspace, so presumably see-and-avoid is not

an
issue. Yeah, they've got to climb through Class E airspace to get to

Class
A, but I'd assume that'll be done in a restricted area.

They are not always flown in restricted areas. This test facility is
not in a restricted area.

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Pho...03-0078-1.html

....and as copied from:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...9&modele=jdc_1

"Altair is expected to be the first UAV to meet Federal Aviation
Administration requirements to operate from conventional airports, with
piloted aircraft, in the national airspace. In addition to triple-redundant
avionics, Altair is configured with a fault-tolerant, dual-architecture
flight control system. The UAV will be equipped with an automated
collision-avoidance system and an air traffic control voice relay. The relay
allows air-traffic controllers to talk to ground-based Altair pilots through
the aircraft."

On several occasions, Joshua Control has called me with warnings about
UAVs and their chase planes orbiting around El Mirage Dry Lake. The location
is a couple miles north of KREY near Adelanto, California.