Old May 24th 05, 05:45 AM
George Patterson

gatt wrote:

HOW do you as a safe, qualified pilot fly over Washington DC and not know
it's Washington DC? Are there any pilots in these forums that DON'T know
it's restricted airspace?

Actually, I've flown over that area many times cutting under the Dulles class-B
in happier days. There's not much there that's distinctive if you don't know the
area. A fair number of little lakes that all look alike. Then an increasing
number of houses, but by then, you'd be inside the ADIZ. I must say, however,
that I would've turned around many miles before they did. The beltway is really
unmistakeable, and, of course, you've got lots of famous landmarks a bit further on.

In short, coming from that direction, it would be real easy to bust the ADIZ
without knowing it, but *extremely* hard to get as far as they did without
knowing you're over D.C..

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.