Old November 8th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default When do controls return to neutral?

Robert M. Gary writes:

Usually, in a non-aerobatic plane, ailerons and rudder will return
close to neutral. Elevator will go to its trim position. Several of the
classic planes I've flow do not have this tendency, so it really can go
either way, but most planes today are designed to be easy to fly.

Is there any tendency for the control surfaces to set in positions
slightly off neutral? For example, if you have to use rudder a lot to
counter torque on every flight, is there any tendency of the rudder
over time to stay a little bit on that side?

My joystick seems to do this, very slightly, and since it is
mechanical like control surfaces, I wonder if things like a rudder
might do the same. Not a very big deflection, of course, but enough
that you might notice it in otherwise perfect level flight (although
with the engine running, I suppose there would always be torque acting
more strongly in the opposite direction, so how would you know?).