Old July 8th 13, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Sectional charts and See You

In all honesty and my personal opinion, SeeYou's mobile "program" has been exactly the same for nearly a decade. It could use some serious usability and graphics improvements! It could use a completely new user interface!

For example, how many clicks does it take to change a data field in SeeYou vs. say....XC Soar? Something like 10 stylus clicks for SeeYou and a touch hold and a click with your fingertip for XCSoar.

Does SeeYou utilize touch screens well? Not really. SeeYou, in its defense, was designed for Windows mobile which no longer exists and is no longer supported by Microsoft. The Windows mobile user interface was built around the "stylus," not a true modern high resolution touch screen as is standard on today's devices. Etc, etc. Stylus's are a pain in the bottom in a glider while flying.

Adhering to Apples interface standards for iOS apps might not be a bad thing at all for Naviteer...;-)! It would likely force a far better user interface. But yes it would take effort to deliver a new UI from the Naviteer people.

I also think the iPad mini is a perfect platform for SeeYou and all of these Soaring mobile apps. SeeYou on an iPad mini would be incredible. SeeYou on a Galaxy Note 3 or similar Android Phone would be excellent as well (what I run XC Soar on today).

You can always keep the legacy software available for those who dont like change. ;-).

Naviteer could offer its customers the best of both worlds. A new modern mobile version and the "classic" Oudie.

All of this software (SeeYou, ClearNAV, Strepla, etc, etc), in my opinion should have an iOS and Android version...it should be purchased via Google Play or the Apple App Store, not thru dealers. This is already how iGlide and XC Soar is purchased today. Updates are automatically pushed out to the users and they are not inconvenienced when needing to update their software. Etc, etc, etc.

Sean
F2

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:26:07 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2013 4:26:30 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Doug,

A little short of your goal with see you but check out the mobile app foreflight. Exceptional chart based navigation for iOS and Android.

Why SeeYou does not run on these devices remains quite an interesting discussion topic.

Speaking of that...

Sean

F2

Not sure about Android, but iOS has user minimum interface standards that must be adhered to. SeeYou would have to be redesigned *wholesale* to comply with any minimum user interface standard. In the mean time, you can use iGlide.