Old June 5th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Starting them young into soaring !!!

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 2:40:53 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Fantastic you can give a shove to possible juniors.....
I was shoved decades ago.
I know of programs in many places, mostly in the NE US (I believe also many other places, I can only speak for those I have dealt with....no slight on any other locations/programs across the globe......:-)).

If a small part of current community pushed "just a bit", it helps a lot.

Indeed being pushy helps.

One thing that's available for clubs and commercial operators is the SSA Cadet Youth Flight Scholarship.

CADET (June 30).
$750 for learning to fly gliders. Desire award.
The anchor program, the one that addresses the very first goal, is the Cadet Youth Flight Scholarship for would-be-pilots ages 13 to 22. Preferably, these will not be SSA members nor will they have any substantial experience with soaring. In essence, it is an excuse for Clubs and FBOs to contact local youth and invite them out to the glider field to see what we do. The incentive--to both the kids and the Club/FBO--is a $750 flight credit. Winners visit a glider field to have an application witnessed, make a convincing case for their desire to fly, write a creative essay about soaring, and state their financial need. In 1995, over one hundred kids wrote SSA for info on this program, two dozen thought about soaring long enough to write an essay, and half of those joined us as SSA Youth members. Funding for the Cadet program was initiated by Cadet designer and Hall-of-Famer Dr. Frank Gross, who matched gifts by 60 other SSA donors totaling $20,000 by December 1996.. Additional funding would help make additional, and perhaps larger awards, available. Details, a promotional poster, and a downloadable application form are at Cadet Youth Flight Scholarship.

https://www.ssa.org/Youth?show=blog&id=2388

Frank Whiteley