Old March 21st 21, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Glider for heavy Pilot

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:32:55 -0700, Chris Behm wrote:

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 6:55:24 AM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross
weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits.
Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx UH

UH-

I have been wondering if anyone in the past has modified a dual seat
glider into a single seat for heavy pilots.
I would think it would be possible and an option, although getting it
done and approved might be a bigger problem.
Doing this to a high performance 2 seat glider seems like it would be an
attractive option for large and heavy glider pilots.

Bear in mind that many (most) German gliders design straps and their
mount point requirements to match the maximum per-seat load, so adapting
a dual seat glider for a 200kg pilot would need cockpit structural
changes to (roughly double the max load on straps and their attachment
points as well as seating position changes to keep the CG within limits.

All in all, it sounds to me like a job needing the expertise of Bob K or
the Streifeneder team at Glasfaser.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org