Old March 7th 04, 01:30 PM
d b

The better solution is what reflects light the most. Generally, your
attention is drawn to the object, not by it's color, but it's difference.
When a glint of light is seen, it stands out. All colors look dark
from a distance. Especially down sun.

It is interesting that model planes covered with transparent coverings
are more visible than those with solid colors.

White is better than most. When I see a white plane with a
contrasting stripe, the contrasting stripe disappears before the
white plane does. Sometimes a vertical fin looks like two pieces
flying in formation, the stripe disappears.

One other significant item. The top of your fuel tanks should
always be white, or as close to white as possible.. The worse thing
to have is to have a dark color.

During hot fuel testing they paint the tanks black and set in the
sun awhile. Hot fuel vapor locks quicker.

In article zZE2c.1820$re1.1377@newsfe1-win, "Julian Scarfe"
wrote:
wrote in message
Howdy,

I've been looking all over, and I can't seem to find any discussions on

the
relative visibility of various colors for aircraft. I would guess that

the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the ground.

I think white on top (contrast vs ground clutter) and dark on the underside
(contrast vs sky) works well, like, for example, the factory Mooney schemes,
http://www.mooney.com/ .

Julian Scarfe