Old October 30th 03, 04:04 PM
Mark Grubb

..
'nowhere' wrote in message
om...
Yes, according to Peter Garrison's 'Aftermath' column
in the November 7issue of 'Flying' you don't need to connect your elevator
control! I quote: 'the NTSB report does not comment on the fact
that a disconnected elevator does not make an ASW-20, or
for that matter any other airplane, unflyable.

This is correct. I personally know of Several -20's and even a PIK-20
(no spoiers) that were flown and successfully landed without elevator
control. I tested this mode in a -20C by "locking" the pitch at the
stick with tape (that would break should I need it to). It was not
pretty, but I towed to 2K ft, released and landed with flaps and
spoilers only. Not a huge deal.

Keep your wits about you, practice, and you needn't die because of a
disabled/disconnected control!