Old June 3rd 05, 06:01 PM
M B

My way of doing this has been to teach the FOI and
get potential CFIs to take the Advanced Ground Instructor
license before continuing on to be a CFI.

So far, all of those who have shown the energy and
desire to finish the AGI have all gone on to become
CFIs, and benefitted from giving ground school
in the meantime. All of those who have balked at the

AGI have also not continued with CFI (generally not
because of money or lack of skill, but time constraints).

At least where I live, personal/family time constraints
are more of an issue than lack of money or skill...

Beyond that, some people like to teach, and judge their
success on the progress of their students. If you
find
someone with this attitude, that is a biggie also.

It may be worthwhile to find someone who is already
teacher in another field...but good teachers are harder
to find
at the gliderport than good pilots.

Good luck!

At 02:00 03 June 2005, wrote:

Roger Kelly wrote:
Our CFIG has become unavailable and our (small) club
near Kansas City is
looking for a CFIG.

Some USA clubs have sponsored potential instructors
by paying $500.
towards their Commercial rating, then contributing
another $500.
towards the cost of earning their CFI Certificate.
Sending them to a
commercial soaring operation for this training may
be a very good
investment when considering the future of a soaring
club.

But training expense is not always the problem. The
instructor
candidate must commit time and effort to earn the CFI
Certificate.

Most SSA Commercial soaring operations and some clubs
with active
training programs can help pilots reach the COM-Glider
/ CFIG level,
usually on a one-on-one basis. Your instructor cannot
spoon-feed all
the knowledge, but if the applicant arrives having
read the recommended
texts, done their homework, passed the 'written' tests,
they can meet
the challenge and accomplish their goals.

Look for a US soaring site that offers training and
practical tests at
www.ssa.org Click on the new interactive map to
learn about the
services offered by dozens of capable flight instructors
and examiners
across the USA.

Cultivate new instructors. Mentor them. Sponsor them
if necessary,
for the future of soaring.

Burt Compton
Master CFI, FAA Designated Examiner