Old September 18th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in message
Generally you have a choice of jobs, how close to an airport your live
and job location. IF a person is willing to change jobs, professions,
or locations they may be able to end up close to work and fairly close
to an airport.

Of course, it's possible that when you factor in being able to afford a
plane, changing professions so that you can live closer to the airport might
not really be an option...

I'm only a bit over 4 1/2 miles from the airport where I have the Deb
based. Unfortunately you can't get there from here. There is a river
between me and town. There are only two bridges although they are
planning to put one in just about a mile from me. When they do that my
trip to the airport would drop from 10 1/2 to about 5 miles. Currently
both bridges are well out of the way to get where I want. If they had
the new bridge in I could ride my bicycle back and fourth.

When I had my plane over at SGR, it was 4 nm from my house to the airport,
or around 8 miles driving distance... There is a railroad track there that
seemed to *always* have a long train on it whenever I wanted to go there...
Lots of road construction to boot, so the commute there sucked... I moved it
over to AXH with is 8 nm away (13 miles driving distance) and the traffic is
not as heavy, so it takes less time to get there... To top it off, I was
able to eventually find a hangar at AXH, whereas at SGR I was stuck parking
on the grass (even the hard surface tiedown spots were full up)...

A friend has his own sod strip about 2 miles from me which would be
great in the summer. The Deb does real well on sod and is a good
short field plane although the sod strip is 3800 feet long.

I was considering taking a look at a piece of property that I heard about to
the north of Houston up around Lake Livingston and the guy wanted $53,900
for 13 acres (approx 1682 x 340 ft)... Considering the fact that the land
tends to be heavily forested with pine trees up around there and as such, I
would probably have to be taking off and landing over them, I don't think it
would work with my plane... I've been into a 1900 ft strip before and it was
tight enough that I really don't want to have to routinely go into a 1600 ft
one, especially adding in trees and probably power lines... Oh well... Keep
looking, I guess...