Old November 24th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Canadian Pilot wants U.S. Certificate

On Nov 24, 8:56*am, wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hopefully, you can help me get this figured out. *I'm going on a trip
to Florida next summer, and I'd like to fly a glider while I'm there
(I kept seeing gorgeous Cu's from Mickey-Mouse-Land). *I figured I
would get checked out in a Grob 103 and then go have some fun in a
Grob 102 or similar single-seater.

According to the FAA website, I just need to send an application form
along with a copy of my Canadian licence and medical for confirmation
and approval, then a visit to the Rochester FSDO to get the licence.

However, the Rochester FSDO says that I can't have a licence. *The
response is:

According to our guidance, we will be unable to process your request.

* "Some foreign CAAs have issued pilot licenses that do not identify
the
* grade of pilot license. *In those instances, do not issue a
U.S.pilot
* certificate. *The holder of that kind of foreign pilot license does
not
* meet ICAO standards for pilot certification."

* The Canadian glider certificate does not include the wording
"private"
* or "commercial". *Because of this we can not issue a US certificate
* based on your Canadian privileges.

So, I said, "Well, I have a 'Private Pilot - Aeroplane' licence and a
glider licence... can I please get a U.S. glider licence. *Again,
"No". *I can get a U.S. power licence and fly N# power planes, but
can't fly N# gliders. *(I can take my Canadian registered glider to
the U.S. and fly it on my Cdn licence, but not N# gliders).

There HAS to be some simple way for me to fly solo in the U.S., but
how?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John

Have you tried a different FSDO? I know that all FSDOs should give you
the same answer, but a lot of times you well get very different
anal inspector. I cannot figure out why they wouldn't just give you
the lower rating it it isn't completely clear.

Pete