Old May 25th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default New Transponder Code (1202) for Gliders (Effective Feb 9, 2012)

On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:58:02 PM UTC-7, zulu wrote:
Since the inclusion of TCAS equipment, line pilots (for the most part)
look out the window even less. The thinking being if it’s out there,
I’ll either catch it on TCAS or ATC will tell me about it.
In ATC land, if the radar scope does not show an alpha/numeric symbol
in conjunction with a target, it’s highly unlikely the controller will
see it and subsequently issue it as traffic.

Sure would be nice to figure out how to give all these folks a reality check before some metal, plastic, or bodies get bent :-(

-Tom