Old March 30th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default CNC Waterjet cutting instrument holes

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 11:02:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey All, I ended up having it CNC routed by a machine shop named AST Waterjet (they do CNC routing too) in Grand Prairie, Tx (in the Dallas area). Cost me $195 which was their shop minimum. It turned out really well, no delamination around the edges. I had them drill the 4 screw holes around each instrument undersized and I reamed the holes up by hand with a drill press after. Every hole lined up perfectly so I didn't need to oversize any of those screw holes which was nice from a hole edge clearance point of view and since some instruments used 3mm screws, some 3.5mm and some 6-32. Turned out nicer than I could ever imagine doing by hand and probably saved me a lot more than $200 of my time. Did a full trail fit of all instruments, switches and everything yesterday and it all fit well, I'm spraying primer on the panel later on today.

Great news. Thanks for the update & have a good flying season.

Craig
7Q