Old November 5th 04, 04:04 PM
Tony Verhulst

Jerz Rossignol wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever tried to self launch with no
wing man on a cg hook only glider.

I've done it in my LS6 when I was aerotowed from a spasely populated
airport following a landout. It was really a no brainer.

I have skids on my wingtips as
well. Would you put the wing that's on the ground further forward at
start? What's the technique!!

With a CG hook, the glider has to point in the desired direction of
travel, IMHO. With a nose hook, you can angle the nose into the cross
wind (if any) and lower the upwind wing. The theory being that when the
tow plane starts, the nose hook will swing the nose straight,
accelerating the upwind (low wing) allowing it to lift level almost
immediately.

I think this is why having a cg hook is a disadvantage.

I would prefer a nose hook in this situation.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING