Old January 31st 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Staying current/proficient

On 01/30/07 13:20, wrote:

When flying IFR without foggles what are the rules for logging toward
currency?

Example, say you start an approach in IMC. You break out and are able
to fly the rest of the approach VMC. Do you count this approach toward
currency?

Thanks in advance,
ak.

I'm not aware of any rules. When I've asked CFIs in my area about this,
I was told to use this rule of thumb: I can log the approach toward
currency if:

- I reach the initial approach fix in IMC; and

- I don't break out of IMC until after I'm established on my
descent, after the final approach fix or glide slope intercept
point.

But as Jeff says, there are going to be a lot of differing opinions
on this. However, if anyone knows of a legal counsel opinion (or
similar) on this, I would really like to see it.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA