Old March 14th 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

Default PowerFlarm Update?

It seems impossible that an opt-out could not be made, it is a trivial thing
to do, a matter of a list of flarm ID opt-outs and a filter.
I cannot read german, so I cannot follow any discussion about it. Can you
please enlight us?

wrote in message

Am Freitag, 13. März 2015 23:25:39 UTC+1 schrieb pcool:

release of v6.0 that changes the protocol they could still read thanks to
Hiram Yaeger. Flarm is now entering the business of online tracking,
apparently, and the first thing to do is get back monopoly on the data
transmission, just to be sure.
There is no other reason to change the protocol and not keep it backward
compatible.

There IS another reason: privacy. Those OGN-Guys could track everyone
without a working opt-out. That caused a lot of furore, especially in
Germany.