Old July 23rd 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flarmview versus Flarmview 57

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 7:58:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing a Flarmcore soon and I'm curious which of the displays would work best. I have a spare 57mm hole in the panel now, so the Flarmview 57 seems to be the simplest installation. I'm curious if having the extra buttons on the original Flarmview make this device easier to use in flight.

Thoughts?

Michael "8U"

My glider has the Flarmview 57 and most of the club gliders have the rectangular Flarmview. When I installed Flarm (before the club ships got it) I chose the 57 simply because I had a 57mm hole free (and a nice carbon fiber panel that I didn't want to hack up) I thought I would be giving up some ease of use because the 57 just has a single twist-push control. To my surprise, when I used the four button display I found it to be less intuitive and more fussy to work with.

So I find the Flarmview 57 easier to work with. The display size is the same. My half century old eyes have had no problem reading it so far. Your experience may differ of course.