Old December 14th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

2G wrote on 12/14/2019 11:14 AM:
On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 8:18:47 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/13/2019 9:25 PM, 2G wrote:
The upper vario is the S8, the lower one the S10.

Everything is now in kts (this was the 2nd flight). The S8 is slaved to the
9070. I could control the radio from the 9070, but that requires a $240
bridge (LXNAV-Bridge-Trig).

I don't have ADS-B In.

Tom

Really??? How much have you got invested in that well set up ASH-31? What's
$240 as a percentage of that, 0.1%?

How could anyone claim that glider pilots are notoriously cheap? :-D -- Dan,
5J

$240 IS $240, not zero. I wasn't even aware of the option when I ordered the
31, as was the case with the Wi-Fi option. I have the entire winter to make up
my mind. All that it does is allow you to set and select frequencies from the
9070 instead of the TY91, not a very compelling capability at the end of the
day.

It does a bit more than that. You no longer need the control head (but can use it
at the same time), so that can be removed from your panel to open up an instrument
hole, or even avoid buying the control head (~$400) if you plan for it when
ordering equipment. It also keeps a history list of recently used frequencies,
making it easier to switch among them.