Old May 27th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default preferrred bank angle indicator?

In article ,
bumper writes
I have the TruTrak in my ASH26E, and am happy with it. As has been stated
before, if you don't have adequate instrument training, please get some
before relying on any of these devices. Much like the ballistic parachute in
the Cirrus aircraft - and that aircraft's relatively high accident rate,
having a safety device and then relying on it to save you after making poor
decisions, might be as bad as having no safety device at all.

bumper

Is the instrument training you might get from a flying school in
any way comparable with using a cloud to climb a bit higher?

People make a BIG DEAL about getting IMC training before doing
any unpowered cloud flying, but surely, if you know your sailplane and
have proper instruments it is not too difficult to train yourself?

Of course I am not suggesting you go for a cu-nim, or even
something approaching freezing level, but a cu with about 1500 feet of
vertical development should be quite innocuous.

Fortunately we are still allowed to fly in cloud in the UK.

--
Mike Lindsay