Old December 11th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Clear

Default The Melting Deck Plates Muddle - V-22 on LHD deck....

In article ,
frank wrote:

Still not really durable enough to handle aircraft weight. Was less
heat resistant than bottom portion. Think of it this way, bottom part
gets really hot on reentry, shields top part. You could see some
scorch marks on most of the post landing photos. Looks like little
black scuff marks on foreward part near wing.

Yeah, the blankets on the top top arent't as heat resistant as the
tiles, but I don't think MV-22 or F-35B exhaust is quite as hot as
hitting the atmosphere at 17,000mph.

Wiki says one type of blanket (FRSI) is good to 700F and another (FIB)
is good to 1200F.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_S...tection_system

Probably looks like a back to the drawing board moment. Oh, hey,
anybody figure out we're landing on a carrier and we have some really
high exhaust temps....

The thermal protection is available, they just need to figure out
the durablity issue. I'm sure for a few billion, someone will be able
to mix some nomex into the non-skit coating.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/