Old October 31st 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gliding risk....

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 7:04:46 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 2:43:02 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Stefan you would think, but the stats show complete opposite. The majority of casualties are high time experienced pilots, including commercial and instructors. At the same time there are more students and inexperience pilots flying than high experience.

Comparing all of gliding to just recreational/commuting motorcycling seems wrong.

Racing is more dangerous than other forms in both activities. Motorcycle racing is just insanely dangerous. Multiple people who go to the same motorcycle shop as me in Wellington NZ have died in the annual Isle of Man races *alone*. On the other hand my gliding club with 50 to 80 members hasn't had a fatal accident since I joined it in 1985. We've lost several tow pilots doing things other than towing: for example one flying passengers commercially in the Pacific Islands, and one crop dusting in Africa.

The Isle of Mann TT is an outlier even among motorcycle racing.