Old August 8th 03, 03:24 AM
Greg Burkhart

See Jim's page http://www.rst-engr.com/kitplanes/KP0203/KP0203.htm (Kitplane
3/02)
Reading through the docs on that page, it disconnects the antenna from the
panel radio when the handheld is plugged in. I started to do this project
but could only find 'cheap' 1/8" phone jacks at RS that the tabs would break
off too easily when soldering on the coax cable. I may attempt this project
again when I can find a decent jack.

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
This is one for Jim Weir I guess...

I had one of the Icom antenna switchboxes in my airplane
until this week when I needed the panel space to let my
handheld use the external antenna. I never really cared for
that set-up, it appears it just uses a 1/8 inch phone jack
with the switch in it to disconnect the aircraft radio when
you plug in the handheld. The thought of the handheld's RF
passing within a few mm of the unshielded antenna lead for
the panel mount always bugged me. Anyway, I'd still like to
have the ability to use an external antenna with the
handheld. So far, it looks like the options a
1) The Icom or similar switch box
2) An extra antenna that is dedicated to the handheld
3) A set up where the antenna cable comes out the panel or
near it so that you can disconnect the antenna and connect
it to the handheld.