Old April 26th 04, 02:57 PM
Richard Russell

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:53:21 -0400, Jeff Saylor
wrote:

The R in a circle symbol next to an airport on Sectionals nindicates
that this airport has Airport Surveillance Radar. But what does this
really indicate to the VFR pilot?

At Reading, Pennsylvania (KRDG) there is such a symbol. This (Class D
Airspace) airport has its own Approach control (shared position in the
tower, actually). Unfortunately at no place on the Sectional is a
frequency for approach given, even on the tables next to the chart.

snipped...

I'm familiar with Reading and their little "R", which caused me a
little confusion when I was learning how to fly. To me, the "R" means
that they (in all likelihood) have their own approach control and you
need to track down the frequency. Like a TRSA, it is voluntary but
certainly adviseable to be talking to these folks. If I encounter an
"R" or a TRSA, I treat them the same as I would a Class C.

By the way, when I first noticed the "R" at Reading I had one hell of
a time finding someone to explain it to me. Ultimately had to figure
it out on my own.

Rich Russell