Old April 13th 09, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Maiden flight of the Arcus

On Apr 12, 12:33*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Apr 10, 10:47*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Apr 10, 11:30*am, Gavin Short wrote:

At 17:50 10 April 2009, Maciek wrote:

The wing is totally new,

Actually, it doesn't look a "totally new" to me. I believe it's
flapped as

kestrell19 said, so it propably has a little different airfoil, at least
at
the flapped part, but the wing shape still looks the same,
multi-trapezoidal
wing, as in DUO.

the fuselage is similar to XL (new - longer fuselage Duo/Nimbus
fuselage)
However - it can be equipped with an electric self launcher so is
structurally somewhat different...

And that's a good point. Looks like the electric propulsion becomes a
new
trend for powered sailplanes, and I think it *is going to stay there for
much longer than the little jets. But still, couldn't they just give
DUO
the
battery, leaving the DUO name (same fuselage, maybe the elevator...)?
Perhaps, when they show some more specific technical info and more
detailed
pictures, I will change my mind.

Maciek

for more details

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.p...&L=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=300&tx_ttnews[backPid]=130&cHash=067f525889

or in German

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.p...&L=0&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=299&tx_ttnews[backPid]=130&cHash=6fbda7cbde

The Brochure

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...2009/Arcus-Aer....

and more photos

http://www.planeur.net/index.php?opt...k=view&id=479&...

The wing certainly looks different to me. *I have just compared it with
several photos I have of DUOs.

Gavin

I overlaid the marketing illustrations from Schempp-Hirth for the Duo
Discus XL and Arcus, you can see them athttp://www.darrylramm.com.

Darryl

Nicely Done ! *The wing is in fact very different, but the fuselage
is Duo XL with minor mods. There was a lot of interest in the electric
Arcus at Aero.

Let me know when you're ready to get an Antares 20E,
for real rather than just in Silent Wings simulator ;-)

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Dave

Actually I *touched* a real Antares 20E on the weekend (then carefully
wiped my fingerprints off with a virgin microfibre towel spritzed with
pH neutral distilled water, only rubbing gently in one direction, no
circular motion, ...).

Very impressive engineering and construction quality everywhere I
looked. I keep offering to test fly it for Larry...

Darryl