Old October 18th 12, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ŽiŠardo

Default No mention of this in here yet? I nearly fell over when I readthis...

On 18/10/2012 17:26, Ramsman wrote:
On 18/10/2012 16:21, ŽiŠardo wrote:
On 18/10/2012 15:03, Jess Lurkin wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/10...dig-up-buried-

wwii-planes/?test=latestnews

Burma signs deal to dig up buried World War II planes

YANGON, Myanmar – Burma has signed a deal with a British aviation
enthusiast
to allow the excavation of a World War II treasu dozens of Spitfire
fighter planes buried by the British almost 70 years ago.

Aviation enthusiast David J. Cundall discovered the locations of the
aircraft
after years of searching. The planes are believed to be in good
condition,
since

(cont'd on page)

Yes, it was mentioned in the UK press many months ago, and today we had
this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ned-to-UK.html

Note that they are the MkXIV which are the Griffon 65 supercharged V12
engined version.

Interesting times...

The Daily Telegraph article referred to shows a Mk.V, and The Times
today had photos of Mk. VIIIs and Mk.Is. Oh well.

Agreed, although the Telegraph makes no claim about picture being
anything other than the caption which was: "A Spitfire flying from RAF
Manston..." which could have included the words "...in the colours of a
Polish Squadron". But then, that's journalism for you.

In the same paper was an article a journalist who recently got to fly in
a two seat Spitfire of which eh said "The Spitfire was the only aircraft
to be in service at the beginning and the end of WWII." which is
absolute cock!

I think the reason this has come up again is that (according to The
Times) David Cundall signed an agreement this week with the Burmese
Government. This wasn't possible earlier because of the sanctions in force.

The actual number of aircraft and their condition remain the subject of
speculation until they're actually recovered.

Until then, seeing a squadron of Mk.XIVs at Flying Legends will just be
yet another dream.

Oh ye of little faith...

;-)

--