Old October 19th 12, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jess Lurkin[_4_]

Default No mention of this in here yet? I nearly fell over when I read this...

ŽiŠardo wrote in
:

An update in today's Daily Telegraph says that the number of Spitfires
"...could be as high as 140."

YEEEHAW! If only 25% are recoverable, that's
**35** "new" pieces of eye candy! Hope that all
these orphans get loving, appreciative (and
wealthy) new homes.

Would be nice if there are varying models, but
that may be kinda doubtful...

Hmmm... thinking of the logic of burying that
many A/C. Since this whole story is new to me,
I'll have to do some reading up to find out
why that many birds might be buried. No fuel to
fly 'em out? No pilots? Tactical burials for
how soon a return? Why put them in stasis when
the were badly needed at the time? And were they
put to sleep correctly? They probably figured on
them being resurrected in months or a year. Hope
that SEVENTY years didn't wreak havoc.

Saddam Hussein could have learned some lessons
here on how to really hide his MiGs.

Thanks to all for giving me several places to
start the research.