Old July 13th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:20:58 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
Nick’s thoughts are my thoughts exactly. How do we have so much unexplained accidents? Tragic!
Sure, we can wait 2 years for the NTSB report, which will be completely useless unless the local glider pilots will work together with the NTSB and hope for a good investigator, as was the case recently in California. Meanwhile I hope we can learn something.
It is easy and comforting to blame unexplained accidents on health related incapacitation, but I believe this may be true only in small fraction of accidents.
This had been a sad year so far, and we got very lucky in few accidents which did not end up fatal but could have been easily.

Ramy

For the record, the local FSDO is glider friendly and their rep was very thorough in the questions he asked. The NTSB rep was the Denver office manager who normally does not make house calls. He is a former AF pilot, as well as a balloon pilot and had flown gliders while at test pilot school. He was very respectful of the circumstances and was also very thorough regarding the questions he asked. I'm sure his initial report will reflect his efforts to arrive at a conclusion based on the facts at hand.

Billy Hill (Zulu)