Old May 20th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default AOA indicator poll.

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 6:46:19 AM UTC-7, Luc Job wrote:
Before I publish it, the code needs some cleaning and complements... I need to test the light sensor functions... It was left aside as it proved to be unnecessary until now.

And now I'm working on the PCB design for the 'production' version.

Basically the idea of the 5 leds is to have an indication for the 5 important AOA's to fly a glider:

1)Blinking red is stall.
2)Red (nonblinking) to amber is below Cz max, or below minimum sink rate if you prefer...So on the bad side of the flight envelope, also indicated by the audio perturbation.
3)amber is Cz max or minimum sink rate.
4)green is approach AOA... Logical color for this part of flight.
5)white is best glide angle AOA
6)blue is lower than best glide angle

With an unflapped glider it is in the right order... With a flapped glider, the approach AOA with the flaps in landing position at the recommended approach speed of 1.3 Vs is lower than the best glide angle... So technically the green led should be between the white and the blue... Assuming that you set the blue at the AOA near the Vne...

But on a flapped glider you can also decide that green is best glide angle and white is approach with landing flaps (white arc on ASI)... That's what I have done on my DG... And on some gliders you have more than 1 landing flaps position... So it's up to you to decide what is the best setting for you and your glider...

On a flapped glider it makes also sense to have the green for the ideal flaps position, increase the flap angle when the color turns towards amber and lower it when it turns white...

I am struggling to understand why I would need one, but a couple of technical questions: How well does it work in accelerated flight such as a 50 deg bank? Will you need an adjustment to account for different nose shapes and/or different pressure tube installation locations? What does it indicate in a spin or spin transition to spiral dive?