Old May 6th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Beginner questions about buying a sailplane...

On May 5, 8:39*am, vic20owner wrote:
No, I am not planning to buy anything for at least a year ... but I
have often wondered what other "hidden" expenses or obstacles there
are associated with buying a used glider.

I regularly see older planes in the $10K USD range (which is well
within my price range). * BUT, for future reference, what inspections
are required for the glider to be considered air worthy, and what else
should I know before considering such a purchase aside from obvious
structural damage or electrical problems? *How much damage should I
consider "normal wear and tear" such as delaminating wing tips, bent
rudder, etc which is a relatively easy repair versus something which
is major (wing struts, etc)?

Also, is there any specific paperwork (flight hours, maintenance
records, etc) I should insist on seeing, etc. *Is it common to pay
someone else to inspect the aircraft prior to purchase?

Lastly, are there any specific gliders one should avoid as a first
used glider? (such as homebuilt kit planes, etc)?

Thanks
-tom

Tom,
You've read some sound wisdom here. There are a lot of opinions out
there, and some you can take with a grain of salt. The best way to
find the glider for you is to ask questions. You will quickly find
that there are pilots, and then there are armchair pilots. I've found
that when it comes to certain biases about planes, it is generally
they that have never flown one that have the greatest biases. For
example. I was told never to buy a plane with a flying stab..."Too
sensitive", they said. Or, a glider without spoilers is too hard to
land. It's all bunk. It is just a matter of being prepared for the
plane you want to buy. Certainly I wouldn't advise that you to buy a
high aspect ratio super ship with flaps as your first plane. But there
is nothing wrong with getting a little performance for you to grow
into.

I'm sure your instructor would be happy to offer advice on your first
plane. From my very first flight, my instructor knew that I was going
to buy a plane and we talked constantly about it. I considered myself
to be an average student, and I went from a 2-33 to a Grob 103, then
right to a Pik-20. There was a steep learning curve for the Pik-20
becasue I had to book learn it then fly it, as there are no trainers
like it. I adapted, learned and survived. I'm now having the time of
my life!

When shopping for a plane I would also ask to see a current weight and
balance sheet. I got stung on a purchase by just asking whart the max
pilot weight was. The owner told me a number, but after the purchase I
found out that he quoted what was in the POH. After a weight and
balance was done I was shocked to find out that it actually was 35
pounds less than what he said. After adding a parachute I was already
overweight. I sold the plane and became a smarter shopper.

I'm sure you will make a smart purchase that you will enjoy for many
years.

Warren Evans