Old January 1st 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default New Silver Distance Rules?

The new rules require you to fly from release to a landing, or a declared turnpoint at least 50km away from your release. So no longer can you "remote start" like you could in the past.

Rick
Current Badge and Record committe member (who had nothing to do with making this change ;-)

Ah. I was under the impression a 50km leg was sufficient.

So, you could fly north 49km from release, turn south to a point 98km away (49km south of release), and have essentially flown a 196km triangle but never got 50km from release, so it wouldn't count?

20 or 30 year old flights

Doesn't the claim have to be submitted within one year of the flight?

I have so much to learn!

BGA rules require a Silver badge before becoming an instructor. German rules before EASA required the same. Of course, the FARs require the incredibly difficult Commercial Pilot, Glider, certificate which no one else does.

Happy New Year,

Terry

PS So, I can get an aerotow 51km upwind on a nice cloud street...