Old February 19th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

wrote on 2/18/2019 9:58 PM:
I don't think disabling trailer brakes is a good idea. There is stability under heavy braking to consider not just retardation. I have twice, separated by about 25 years, had the situation of having to emergency brake on a motorway, the trailer start to swing out (not just sway) and then snap straight as the trailer brake bit fully. My impression was that if the trailer had been unbraked one or both times it would have jackknifed and possibly caused a multiple vehicle incident. Thankfully I will never know for sure but I would never tow a glider trailer any distance without good brakes.

With a 11,500 tow vehicle and 2500lb trailers, brakes are almost irrelevant for
stopping the combination - I did the experiment on an out and return to Alaska.
And now, the tow vehicle is 13,500lbs - it's even steadier.

Stability is not an issue with the huge difference in weight and the long wheel
base (with four tires on the rear) of the motorhome. Also, I tow 60 mph, pass at
70, and "flutter speed" is well over 100 mph. The trailer has so little affect on
the motorhome, I can't feel what it's doing, not even if a tire blows (done that
experiment).

The best argument for brakes in my situation is dampening the swaying if the
trailer came off the ball, but I believe the chains are strong enough to withstand
the whipping that would ensue, and the motorhome is heavy enough to be easily
controlled during the stop.