View Single Post
Old February 20th 19, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:21:22 AM UTC-8, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am trying to get away from the surge brakes and has anyone converted their trailer to electric brakes?? Thanks

Bob

I converted my cobra to Dexter Axle Torflex with electric brakes. I measured the axle bolt holes spacing, tire bolt scheme and distance from wheel to wheel. Purchased online from a trailer company they welded the brackets to fit. The easiest way is to take to a trailer dealer that carries Dexter Axles and have them replace the axle.
It was about 15 years ago as I remember $450 included shipping from Florida to CA. Call if you have questions.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Yes, thanks for the info. I did look into the Dexter Torflex axle and it does come with the electric or hydraulic braking capabilities. I will be doing some measuring and evaluating the situation in the near future. Another good feature of the axle and wheel assembly is that one no longer needs to look for Opel car wheels as the proper lug configuration. The Komet trailer company used Opel car wheels as their choice. I had to locate a wheel for a spare tire and it was difficult to find one.