View Single Post
Old June 26th 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Default Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

What's the general culture out there? Do guys sit around hangar flying and bragging about their latest low saves? Could his decision to try a low save have been influenced by seeing others do so or getting lucky enough times in the past, himself? Something made him think it was a good decision to try to get a low save. If he had been successful, would the local crowd have applauded his skill and derring-do, or would they have quietly pulled him aside counseled him about it?

I believe the glorification of low saves in the pattern and other dubious behaviors adds a subconcious level of confidence that could influence a pilot's decisions. The inner voice whispers,"Those guys do it, I can, too!" Or, "I did it before and it worked, so I can do it again." I've been around a cadre of glider pilots that routinely climb away after entering the downwind and announcing their intent to land, then catching some lift and trying to dig out. Some brag about how low they released on tow, managing to climb away, and then egg each other on to get off lower. The new pilots sit and soak it all up in wonder.

It's tough to hold your ground and not try to emulate the old guard when they have so much more experience, but most of us do.