Old May 7th 05, 05:09 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message

Because if you don't read it back, they have no way to know
that you have acknowledged their call to you.

They know I've acknowledged their call when I respond with "Roger."

Would you want ATC to
keep repeating the same call to you, adding more radio congestion to a
frequency they are already busy on?

Why would they repeat a call that I've acknowledged?

If they're trying to provide
separation that your jaunt through their airspace could jeopardize,
they're bloody well are goign to look for hearing a readback from you
on it, and make sure that you are still outside their airspace.

No they're not. All they want is acknowledgement. Why do you want to
increase frequency congestion with unnecessary readbacks? Do you understand
the difference between acknowledgement and a readback?

For class C, they will always tell you 'radar contact
location, say altitude'. Class B, they'll tell you 'radar contact
location, cleared through/into xxx Class B airspace' along with an
altimeter setting for the major airport in their area. That is a
requirement for ATC to give you when entering Class B or C airspace.
See the 7110.65, sections 5-3-1 through 5-3-6. There's the requirement.
If they tell you to remain outside a given airspace, you had best
readback that you are remaining outside that airspace. 7-9-2 gives
leeway for the readback.

The controller is required to inform you that you're in radar contact once
radar contact has been established, but there's no requirement to establish
radar contact prior to entry in Class B or Class C airspace.