Old November 13th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aids do you use.

In article ,
says...

Mike Ash wrote:
How about
ELT for emergency location transmitter?

Works for me.

Me too. Of course this is also optional equipment in many
circumstances....

There are ELTs and ELTs...
the usual article may have a remote switch, but emits on 121.5 and 243
MHz I watched the fellow in the next hangar testing his g switch:
he replaced the battery, then swung the ELT smartly against a tire.
At 5 to the hour, naturally... There was a recent alert about stuck g
switches, I hear.

The later article features 406MHz emissions I hear. I must find out more
about them.

You should - 'cos yer a bit out of date on the info thesedays. 406Mz
ELT's are manditory in most countries now.

Also the monitoring Cospass-Sarsat satellites will not find you with a
121.5Mz ELT as they don't monitor it anyymore. You'd better hope for a
nearby commercial aircraft that's monitoring 121.5 - it's about your
only chance now days.

The 406Mz system is also lots more accurate for position determination,
and, the beacons must be registered (registration of 121.5Mz devices was
never manditory).

--
Duncan.