Old February 12th 04, 02:10 AM
Dave Nadler YO

Super Dimona / Katana whatever its called tows just fine.
Not good for hot and heavy, but not-too-hot and low alt
is just fine. They were used for towing at the Bayreuth
preworlds: no complaints from me in a ballasted standard
glider, some big gliders were unhappy.

Not too flimsy for daily tow, used that way often. Does
require type-specific training (tail-dragger plus glider
negatives, hardly insurmountable).

Hope that helps !
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Anybody who needs a mechanic versed in Rotax 4 strokes
in Massachusetts contact me privately...

(Mark James Boyd) wrote in message news:4029333e$1@darkstar...
Interesting article. Too bad (for US pilots) it uses
the "despised in the US" rotax engine. But this is
a real favorite in Europe, I'm told.

CFR 61.69(a)(1) requires tow pilots to
"Holds at least a private pilot certificate with a category
rating for powered aircraft."

Perhaps the last 7 words should be eliminated so
glider only licensed PPL, self-launch endorsed pilots
can use this aircraft to tow?

It looks a little flimsy for daily tow work, but
if one could convince the insurer to allow instruction
during towing, one could make the tow flight
an instruction flight too...double the customers, right?