Old April 24th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default I need to trace an IP address

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Does anyone have a means to trace to t least a general location the
following IP address?

72.191.163.46
Many thanks

Probably somewhere in Texas - possibly Houston area (could be way out in
the countryside though). Obviously can't be sure. It's an IP address
belonging to RoadRunner, according to the DNS authority section. The
reverse DNS lookup yields the name:

cpe-72-191-163-46.elp.res.rr.com

Traceroute from my location a few moments ago terminated at:

gig0-1.elpstxh5-ubr2.elp.rr.com

The traceroute went through what appears to be a router in the Dallas area
and then possibly in Houston, based on guesses from probable host name
conventions used by RR.

Maybe someone with better tools and info can provide more accurate info.

What makes you interested, if I may ask?