Old December 1st 03, 10:27 PM

Thanks for posting the formula. Let me see if I understand it
correctly. For the hypothetical small helicopter:

Blades are 10' long and the cg is half the length (no tip weights). R
would be 5' plus the distance from the center of the shaft to the
blade mounts. I'll call R as being 5.5' in this example.

I'll say the blades are 25 lbs each and the RPM is 600 (450 MPH tip
speed).

FORCE = (W * R * RPM^2) / 2900 = (25 * 5.5 * 600^2) / 2900
= 17069 lbs.

This is assuming that the units are supposed to be lbs and feet.

The result is less than I thought, but still pretty impressive.

By adding 2 lb tip weights, the CG force increases to about 23,500
lbs. That's a pretty big jump, but the biggest jumps obviously come
with the RPM.

Did I do it right?

Dennis.

(Hennie) wrote:

The centrifugal force generated by a rotor blade
is (W*r*rpm^2)/2900 W is the blade weight. r is the distance from
the hub center to the CG of the blade

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm