Old April 10th 19, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fixing longitudinal crack in wood canopy rail

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 8:13:26 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
The new canopy retention bungee may have slipped through the eye hook or the knot failed. Fortunately the canopy was not broken, but the hinges had to be replaced.

Then we found a longitudinal crack. As a long time woodworker, my inclination is to inject Weldbond and clamp. Weldbond seems to do well keeping tail skids attached to fiberglass gliders.

Perhaps not acceptable for spars, but much less loading on a canopy rail which is secured at four points.

Not familiar with Weldbond. I expect what I would do us use epoxy. Spread crack a bit if possible. Warm the work and epoxy to reduce viscosity and help to maximize wicking and penetration. Then clamp and keep a bit warm while it cures.
UH