Old April 10th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Luke Skywalker

Default Oral exam place and questions

On Apr 9, 7:36 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I've been reading about oral exams for a private pilot license (in the U.S.),
and two questions have come to mind.

Where does this exam take place? Is it in a classroom, or in a testing
center, or is it actually in the aircraft?

When you are asked math-type questions, are you expected to answer with just a
ballpark figure or an exact answer? In the latter case, can you use a
calculator, or pencil and paper, or must you do it in your head?

If I'm asked how long it will take to go 84 nm at 120 kts, I know that it's
about 40 minutes, but if an exact answer is required I don't see how I could
practically provide that without a calculator.

It is actually done at a place of the examiner (and usually the
examinee) mutually agreed upon location..

Just speaking for myself...when I do non airline exams I like to have
a quiet place, if possible with a big picture of the panel (if not the
airplane manual with a sample picture) and access to some wx
information...if not I carry my own and give it to the candidate as a
part of a X country planning excersize.

In your hypothetical if I gave you a question like the one you possed
and you gave me the "ball park" answer my next question "might" be,
"if you wanted a more precise one how would you figure it out?" and
then that would go to the "computing" device...I would probably feel
it necessary (grin) to show you how to use an E6B if all you have is
an electronic one (kind of a whiz bang thing)...

I"ve done "part" of the oral in and around an airplane before...but I
dont like to. The environment is not controlled etc... It usually
doesnt do what I am trying to do and that is put the applicant at
"ease"...

Robert