Old October 6th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Refreshingly plain plane column

"Stella Starr" wrote in message
. ..
It's about being in a commercial airliner when they abort a landing. Had
it happen once, and as we powered up for the go-around at DFW my reaction
was "Hmph. How 'bout that."
Didn't realize some folks might freak at such an incident.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...skthepilot293/

"In fact, go-arounds are fairly common and seldom the result of anything
dangerous..."

In general, a good general-consumer column without too much jargon. IMHO
it's a good idea now and then to mention an aviation subject in an
educational article free from sensationalism or disaster references.

I have flown quite a bit commercial but never experienced a go around on a
commercial flight. I'm sure most passengers have no idea what a "go around"
is and why they are typically made.