Old February 12th 04, 05:33 AM
Guy Alcala

"Harley W. Daugherty" wrote:

"Bill McClain" wrote in message
om...
Having read the latest flap about the President's days flying in the
ANG, I wondered what flying the F-102 was like - that's what I'd ask
him if I met him. Back then, before redundant flight-control
computers made the human pilot a voting member of a committee, how
hard was it to control a delta-wing design like that? How did they
handle in low-speed regimes like air-to-air refueling and landing?

From what I read and heard about the F-102, it was a royal bitch to handle.
Had a high stall speed and was a bit of a pig in the air. Also the mission
profile during a nuclear war left a LOT to be desired.
In short it was not a easy plane to fly.

but then again this is what I have hear/read.

Assuming he doesn't bother to write a response to the OP's question, a search
of Google on this newsgroup for "Walt BJ", "F-102" and/or "deuce" should
provide you with his comments about the a/c. He liked it, with the major
exception of the rather weak landing gear.

Guy