Old March 7th 13, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default 2013 USA Competition Rules Published

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:08:41 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
John, I appreciate your concern with making finishes safer by eliminating "coffin corners" (MC 0 at 300'), but to me you are trying to eliminate the pilot from the equation a bit too much. Fine for Sports Class beginners, perhaps, but to me this is part of racing - accurately flown final glides, or landing out to avoid damage (can't win with a broken glider).

Just because you can finish at 50' with a line, doesn't make it smart - since now you only get distance points for a rolling finish, if you are on that MC0 and barely making it, you still have no incentive to push it. If you cant cross the line and fly a normal pattern (either cross at 500' and blend into traffic, or if alone, push down and cross at Vne and pull up - yes, because it's fun and gives all those working or watching on the ground something to see), the decision process is still there. Crossing the line at 50ft and 60 knots get you nothing but distance points and a warning from the CD for dangerous flying!

The point is, if the finish is "cross the runway then fly a safe pattern", then what I have to manage is getting across the runway high and/or fast enough for the existing conditions for a safe pattern and landing.

You don't like it. Fine. I do, but I'm not making the rules, so I'll finish whatever way is legal and safe.

See you at the races!

Cheers,

Kirk

66

Um,
If a line is in use, you get speed points for a rolling finish (10.9.4).
"Rolling finish" has no meaning wrt a cylinder finish, the finish occurs at the cylinder boundary.
QT - RC Chair