Old March 9th 13, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default 2013 USA Competition Rules Published

On Friday, March 8, 2013 10:19:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
We prefer rules with quantitative limits, where possible, and not a big argument with the CD that in your glider with your great skill a 250 foot pattern at 50 knots was just fine.

Yeah, I figured that would be a non-starter with you.

Where I usually fly (and occasionally race) in AZ the last 10 miles are unlandable. I mean "die if you try" unlandable. So I am used to figuring final glides with an pad and an out (that last strip at 10 miles). So are the rest of the guys who fly (and race) here. Yet we manage - and when we have a contest, we usually use a 1 mile 200' circle and go from there. Your approach is to take away the decision from the competitor - make it for him so he doesn't get into trouble. I'm not convinced that is the way to go. Yes it's "safer". So is not racing at all. When QT talks about making the finish 1000' agl or higher, I see the racing days getting shorter - to make sure there is enough lift to get up "over the bar". You obviously don't like creeping back home and sneaking in - because it's statistically dangerous. I see it as part of the sport. But I guess I'm a minority, so I'm willing to play by the rules just to continue enjoying this great sport. And I really do want to thank all of you on the RC for putting up with guys like me - without your work we couldn't even be having this little discussion!

Enough - lets get our gliders waxed and go racing!

Kirk
66