Old August 8th 04, 11:44 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Pete Stickney wrote in another thread:

(The Aliies, after all, succeeded in 1943 in
producing what the Germans could not - practical, reliable jet engines
that could be flown for more than a day before needing to be
overhauled, and which could be worked on by typical mechanics. Before
the Me 262 appeared in 1944, both the Americans and the British were
running engines with more than twice the thrust, and 10 times the life
of the best realized German efforts.)

Pete, the rough figures I carry in my mind is 10 hours TBO for the
Jumo engine in the Me 262 and 25 hours for the GE? engine in the P-80.
I have also seen 50 hours mentioned in a 1945 briefing about the P-80.

Dont know about the GE engines but the Wellands used by the
Meteor in 1944 were rather conservatively rated at 180 hours

http://www.enginehistory.org/r-r_w2b.htm

IRC the first production Welland ran for around 2000 hours
on the test bed.

Keith

I'd be grateful if you could flesh out the parenthesis. The only
engine I know anything about is the Whittle turbojet as modified by GE
for the Bell YP-59A. I never followed up on what changed before the
P-80 got running.

And what about that P-80? It seems to have had an unwonted number of
crashes for an airplane that turned into the longest-serving jet ever
built (still in service, as I understand, as the T-33 in recce and
light-attack roles for various air forces).

Thanks!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum