Old September 18th 04, 02:17 PM

Hrm... certainly could be it, but I would think that the IFR transponder cert
(just done in June!) would have discovered that. Things won't drift *that* fast.

It really bugs me that I don't have the equipment to test transponder/dme
stuff. Most other equipment I've been able to troubleshoot with other "easily
generatable" test signals, those I need to fly the plane. Trouble with taking it "to
my avionics shop" is that there isn't one around here. I guess a valid question would
be whether or not an old transponder like this would keep kicking for awhile if given
some $$$ for a tuneup.

-Cory

Doug Vetter wrote:
: wrote:
: It's a 76, not a 76A. I just took it up the other day after getting back, and
: the local Class-C was able to see me from 2000' AGL, 20 miles away in "mountainous"
: (i.e. Appalachian) terrain. Whatever it is, it's either low power, intermittent
: problem, or both. I suppose it could be a frequency tolerance issue and some
: centers/approaches are more tolerant of that. Wouldn't an transponder cert check
: that?

: Cory,

: Transponder reception problems are usually caused by being off-frequency
: or a/c gate misalignment. The older units really do drift over
: time...hence the importance of the 2 year check. A simple test at your
: avionics shop can reveal what's wrong, and chances are it just needs an
: adjustment.

: That said, if the problem is ultimately determined to be the tube or
: some other hard-to-diagnose intermittent problem, I have a KT76 in good
: operating condition that I could let you have for a steal. Email me if
: you are interested.

: -Doug

: --
: Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA